Well after something like 30+ hrs of travel I finally arrived in Freetown, Sierra Leone exhausted and ready to go to bed. There was a group of about 25 of us that flew from Brussels to Freetown on the same flight, which made the flight in less stressful. Customs at the airport was non-existent and because I was with Mercy Ships they collected all of our passports, stamped them, and let us through. After pushing my way through the crowd to get my luggage, we left the airport and all walked to the parking lot where they loaded all of our bags about a couple feet above the bed of a truck with a person sitting on top so it didn't fall out! it was kind of comical. we then all loaded into multiple vans and cars and headed to the ferry. Driving in third world countries is always an experience-there were bikers everywhere (it was completely dark) and multiple motocycles that we were weaving in and out of. Fortunately, we didn't crash nor did we crash into anyone. I've determined it's almost better just not to watch the road. We finally made it to the ferry boarding after about 20 minutes, but unfortunately we just missed the ferry and so had to wait another hour for the next one to leave :(. We were all super hot and sweaty now as the humidity here is about 90% or higher. After a 30 minute crossing we unloaded all our luggage and got into the Mercy Ship SUVs that were waiting for us. In a few minutes we were at the ship...finally. It was now about 10:30 pm. We did some paperwork, took our pictures for our IDs (awesome since we all looked terrible after traveling for over 24 hrs). I went to bed at midnight and then got up around 7 am for breakfast and then headed to nursing orientation at 7:30am. I had nursing orientation the next two days and then started on the ward doing clinical work the next two. I'm been assigned to the maxillary-facial team or maxfax team and will also be working int he ICU. I'm pretty excited about it because our pt's undergo such massive transformations as they have incredibly huge tumors removed and their lives transformed because of it. Dr. Gary has been here for 20 years and has really lead his field in surgical techniques and removal of these types of tumors as well as other facial deformities. He did a lecture for the crew the other night and brought in one of the tumors for us to touch, which was really awesome!
As far as living situation is concerned, I live in a room with 5 other roommates and one bathroom. We have to take 2 minute showers to conserve water (and yes dad, I've been complying with those rules ;). I've been able to run outside in front of the boat, which is better than not being able to run at all. Anyways, it's getting late and I'm getting tired, so I'll try to blog more after the weekend.
This weekend I'm going to one of the orphanages that Mercy Ships is involved with and then will be going to one of the local churches for Sunday service. I'm excited to experience more of Sierra Leone as most of my time so far has been spent on the ship. I hope all is well back home. Feel free to email me at h.j.yamamoto@gmail.com.
please retain your ID. I would love to see it :)
ReplyDeleteglad you got there safely!